Skip to main content

Sacrificing happiness

My grandparents were dead long back; so I never could relate the feeling of going back to roots during holydays. My father was in the defence so I shared the joy on Eids with the neighboring kids rather than with my cousins, uncles, aunts. After my father’s retirement, we settled in Dhaka. In only two occasions, we went to our village home to celebrate Eid with my distance relatives. I did enjoy the village flavor, but felt no urge in going back on every Eid as all my Chacha. Mama, Fufu, Khala were always in Dhaka.

Thus my ignorance on people’s urge on heading towards village-home was mountainous. I never realized what the city people undergo on their voyage during Eid. On 26th November, three of my friends and I decided to experience ‘Shodor ghat er gangaam’ after midnight. We reached at Shodor ghat in 45 minutes from Gulshan; Dhaka was vacant as expected. We are mature, all in 30s, so no over speeding! Reached Shador ghat at 2 A.M. And yes, it was indeed Shodor ghat; gathering of people was all-around, everybody trying to enter the vessels docked in the river. No one could tell it was 2 A.M unless the watch came in rescue.

Some people were having meals in nearby restaurants, some trying to get into the vessels, some quarreling with the security guards. We got aboard a vessel. There were no inch to move; people were sleeping everywhere. We wanted to see the cabins but it was restricted. An 1000 taka note to the security guards did the trick and walla – we were given VIP treatment then on; went to the engine room, cabin, roof, pilot’s den, everywhere. People were sleeping everywhere including in front off the toilets. The vessel was scheduled to start at 10 A.M. the following morning but people occupied 12-14 hours prior to that! There were children sleeping in roofs, babies in the balcony with hands tied to their parents. I am a father on three years old, so I could relate instantly what a father goes through if he sees his child shaking in the cold.

Two of my friends were discussing the prospect of a vessel liner on our way back; I was wondering what makes the city people go through the pain of reaching village homes; there must be something, must be.

I woke up at 7:00 A.M on Eid day. Turned on the TV, and there was this news – a launch drowned in Meghna on its way to Bhola; 13 dead bodies including seven children were recovered. I saw that vessel on 26th! I saw people sleeping there. I saw children searching comfort on fathers’ shoulder! I knew then and there, the reminiscence will hunt me for a while.

As I read the newspaper today, the vessel that drowned was carrying excess people and water started pouring right after it started moving. It reached a quay in noon time; many people wanted to get down; security guards did not allow them to do so as some of them did not buy tickets by then. Desh TV reports, mother searching for a six year old, father searching for his two sons, sisters searching for their only brother. This Eid apparently stored only sorrow for the relatives and people who died, Allah knows, for whose fault. Close ones will surely remember the lost ones in every Eid they come by.

In my childhood, I was told, Eid ul Azha teaches sacrifices; I never could understand why slaughtering animals in roads is considered as sacrifice. I do not support the way it’s been done so I always wondered what to sacrifice. This time around, I know I have sacrificed my happiness……..I just can’t forget the faces I saw that night; I saw a two years old shivering in cold; is he dead?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhaka in the 1950s and 1960s

In the mid 1950s, Dhaka, known as ‘Dacca’ at that time, was just a small provincial town with about 3,00,000 inhabitants. Dhanmondi at that time just started to grow; Maulvi Abdus Sobhan's family had some habitation in Sobhanbagh, Dhaka Stadium was being constructed to host cricket matches and New Market was starting to become a busy shopping area. Dhaka residents loved cinema since the time it was introduced. Baliadi Siddiki family owned Nishat Cinema Hall and held a mega event when the film ‘Aan’ by Mehboob Khan was released in 1952. Elephants were used by the hall owner to distribute leaflets and to spray colour water. There was another prominent hall named Britannia near Rex Restaurant at Gulistan but was closed down in the late 1950s. Gulistan Cinema Hall, city’s first modernity landmark, came up in 1952. Amber, started with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, was the first film the hall showed. Mukul which later became 'Azad 'used to show Bengali films from Kolkat

সুন্দর পশু-পাখি, সুন্দর গাছ আর সুন্দর সুন্দর জঙ্গল নিয়ে সুন্দরবন

...প্রাকৃতিক দুর্যোগের সময় এদেশের মানুষের পক্ষ হয়ে বর্ম হিসেবে দাড়িয়ে যাওয়া সুন্দরবনের সাথে বেশীর ভাগ মানুষের প্রথম পরিচয় হয় বাংলা ১ম পত্রের গদ্য বইয়ে অথবা বাংলা ২য় পত্রের রচনায়। সুন্দরবন - এর আক্ষরিক অর্থ 'সুন্দর জঙ্গল' অথবা 'সুন্দর বনভূমি' কিন্তু নামকরণ হয়েছিল 'সুন্দরী গাছ' থেকে যা এখানে প্রচুর পরিমানে জন্মে। তবে যেহেতু স্থানীয় আদিবাসীরা অনেক আগে থেকে বনটিকে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামে ডাকতো তাই হতে পারে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামটি কালের পরিক্রমায় ‘সুন্দরবন’ হয়ে গেছে। বঙ্গোপসাগরের কোল ঘেষে অবস্থিত এই বনের বাঘ ‘রয়েল বেঙ্গল টাইগার’ নামে পরিচিত যদিও সংখ্যায় এখন এ প্রাণী ক্রমনিম্নগামী। সুন্দরবন সমুদ্র উপকূলবর্তী এলাকায় অবস্থিত হবার কারনে এখানকার পানি নোনতা এবং এই লবণাক্ততার কারণে বাঘ অস্বস্তিকর অবস্থায় থাকে যা তাদের বেশ আগ্রাসী করে তোলে তাই  মাছ ও মধু সংগ্রহকারী মানুষদের উপর সুযোগ পেলে তারা ঝাপিয়ে পরে। ১৭৫৭ সালে পুরো বাংলার ইজারা নেয় বৃটিশ ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি যার মধ্যে সুন্দরবনও ছিল। এই বনের গুরুত্ব বুঝতে পেরে ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি একটা মানচিত্র তৈরি করে সেইসময়

Revolt at BDR Headquarters

Soldiers of the BDR Headquarters in Dhaka staged a revolt against their top officers including the DG. Rumors are all around. Some say, the DG is dead. Others include - soldiers want pay raise; they want full scale war against Indian BSF etc. But here is the rumor that beats all by a long margin - JMB naki actually BDR HQ attack korse. Next target High Court. Ora naki BDR DG ke convince korse to join them!