Skip to main content

Death blues

I think of death often; as often as I think of life. But visuals of laying in blood clots during transition never occurred as much as it did in recent times. I visualize my dead body beside a highway - road accident perhaps; being dragged out from a dented vehicle and laying down with few others or not was my dread dream for long. Or will I comprise bullet wounds followed by sharp cuts all over the body? Likely my body, me within or not, would pass few hours in morgue before getting into a casket. In next life may be my blood will be white and the cover will be dead-red; contrary to what is in this life.

I was 11 once as everyone was or will be. While heading towards Khagrachari from Chittagong, our convoy was halted in Guimara as there was a gunbattle between the army and tribal guerrillas. An overenthusiastic showed me bullet wounded and mortar hit bodies of both parties. I asked why they battle. No apt answer I got; perhaps they died for no reason other than grabbing sleep of a kid for few weeks.

Days at Shahid Moinul road in Dhaka and Bawanis in Jossor cantonment have enormous impact on me. If I am asked to choose a life after death; I would want to go back to those days without blink of an eye. Not because of the careless days I passed in these two places but because people around me in those periods are the people I want to spend most of my time with.

Choto Mama - Lt. Col Azim died all of a sudden and put me in a state of shock. I was holding his head on the ambulance while taking him to hospital for the last time; little that I knew it was his last time. I in fact never comprehended someone close of my heart could die so abruptly. Following day, I wanted to hold his khatia to the Mashjid and to the grave; I tried and tried but could not cope up with the flow as I had a fractured leg. Then Boro Chacha died, Shah Khalu died, Boro Khalu died, my soul mate Anayet died. I learnt deaths can mature people though it does not open a different door, it is not even a diminishing state.

I know for a fact that I inspire people and have impact on many. There are many great souls having huge impact on me as well – purportedly that’s natural. I regret deeply I did not acknowledge them when I had a chance. Now it is too late.

I never lie to my son; I do not give him false promise. I want to keep it that way as long as I stay in this side. His arrival made me a better person. I said to myself in April 2006 – I will not do, say anything that I cannot share with my son. This cushy promise brought me a whole new world.

The world will end or I will end, one earlier, one afterwards, or both at an identical time. Destination is locked, it has always been. The journey matters; not destination. I lived beneath day and night but there were radiance, sparkle and flicker, if not the sun itself, even in nights. My journey has been entrancing; I lived on my spirit.

If you visit me when I am silent, don’t bring me flowers; come with an enlightened soul or do not come at all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice, Your writings remind me an Elegy of Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard"......
Unknown said…
Your command over English language is superb. Very few Bengalis can match. Keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Dhaka in the 1950s and 1960s

In the mid 1950s, Dhaka, known as ‘Dacca’ at that time, was just a small provincial town with about 3,00,000 inhabitants. Dhanmondi at that time just started to grow; Maulvi Abdus Sobhan's family had some habitation in Sobhanbagh, Dhaka Stadium was being constructed to host cricket matches and New Market was starting to become a busy shopping area. Dhaka residents loved cinema since the time it was introduced. Baliadi Siddiki family owned Nishat Cinema Hall and held a mega event when the film ‘Aan’ by Mehboob Khan was released in 1952. Elephants were used by the hall owner to distribute leaflets and to spray colour water. There was another prominent hall named Britannia near Rex Restaurant at Gulistan but was closed down in the late 1950s. Gulistan Cinema Hall, city’s first modernity landmark, came up in 1952. Amber, started with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, was the first film the hall showed. Mukul which later became 'Azad 'used to show Bengali films from Kolkat

সুন্দর পশু-পাখি, সুন্দর গাছ আর সুন্দর সুন্দর জঙ্গল নিয়ে সুন্দরবন

...প্রাকৃতিক দুর্যোগের সময় এদেশের মানুষের পক্ষ হয়ে বর্ম হিসেবে দাড়িয়ে যাওয়া সুন্দরবনের সাথে বেশীর ভাগ মানুষের প্রথম পরিচয় হয় বাংলা ১ম পত্রের গদ্য বইয়ে অথবা বাংলা ২য় পত্রের রচনায়। সুন্দরবন - এর আক্ষরিক অর্থ 'সুন্দর জঙ্গল' অথবা 'সুন্দর বনভূমি' কিন্তু নামকরণ হয়েছিল 'সুন্দরী গাছ' থেকে যা এখানে প্রচুর পরিমানে জন্মে। তবে যেহেতু স্থানীয় আদিবাসীরা অনেক আগে থেকে বনটিকে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামে ডাকতো তাই হতে পারে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামটি কালের পরিক্রমায় ‘সুন্দরবন’ হয়ে গেছে। বঙ্গোপসাগরের কোল ঘেষে অবস্থিত এই বনের বাঘ ‘রয়েল বেঙ্গল টাইগার’ নামে পরিচিত যদিও সংখ্যায় এখন এ প্রাণী ক্রমনিম্নগামী। সুন্দরবন সমুদ্র উপকূলবর্তী এলাকায় অবস্থিত হবার কারনে এখানকার পানি নোনতা এবং এই লবণাক্ততার কারণে বাঘ অস্বস্তিকর অবস্থায় থাকে যা তাদের বেশ আগ্রাসী করে তোলে তাই  মাছ ও মধু সংগ্রহকারী মানুষদের উপর সুযোগ পেলে তারা ঝাপিয়ে পরে। ১৭৫৭ সালে পুরো বাংলার ইজারা নেয় বৃটিশ ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি যার মধ্যে সুন্দরবনও ছিল। এই বনের গুরুত্ব বুঝতে পেরে ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি একটা মানচিত্র তৈরি করে সেইসময়

Revolt at BDR Headquarters

Soldiers of the BDR Headquarters in Dhaka staged a revolt against their top officers including the DG. Rumors are all around. Some say, the DG is dead. Others include - soldiers want pay raise; they want full scale war against Indian BSF etc. But here is the rumor that beats all by a long margin - JMB naki actually BDR HQ attack korse. Next target High Court. Ora naki BDR DG ke convince korse to join them!