Skip to main content

Blog post of a duffer fan & wellwisher of Bassbaba

I saw him first at an open-air concert at RAOWA Club, New DOHS in 1992. He was playing bass guitar with the band Feelings. In one of the songs he started playing the bass above his head. For a regular school going kid like me, it was too much to absorb. I knew then and there that this man is something. Later, the existence of melodic and extreme heavy metal songs in a single album got me blown away when Aurthohin released their ‘Trimatric’ album in 1999. I was moved by all the songs of that album.

Social networking then meant meeting in person. Virtual networking meant emailing. The band provided an email id at the cover of Trimatric. I mailed them expressing my likings for the songs and admiration for the band. To my surprise, I got reply that very night. Being beset, I exchanged few emails. In one of the emails, the bassist and vocal of the band, Sumon, also known as Bassbaba, invited me to one of their gigs. The gig however got cancelled but Bassbaba, trough a friend who was active in the underground music scene, invited me to his house. I never got along with any of the other members of Aurthohin, but Bassbaba somehow liked my company. The feeling was mutual and I became a regular member of the evening adda at his practice pad. We became so close that when he needed a voice over of a radio news presenter for one of the songs in 2002 album ‘Notun Diner Michile’, he asked me to do it. That was in fact my first and only voice over in an album.

Work, family commitments and other things got better hold of me from 2004-05, so attachment with Bassbaba faded radically. At this moment I do not have any contacts with him apart than the one way communication of liking photos and statuses on his public Facebook profile.

Now that I think of those days, I was more mesmerized and awestruck by his attitude towards life and human qualities than his musical talents. He has got an ocean heart. I say this in full conscious and without any prejudice that he is one of the nicest and most caring human being I came across in life.

I see that he is going through some serious health issues since 2005. I feel guilty that I haven’t dropped by at his place in all these years and say hi. I feel ashamed that I was there with him only during his good times. But I know mentally how strong this person is, so he actually does not need duffers like me to take care of him. He is an ‘one man army’ altogether and he knows how to kick away garbage that come in front of his way.

I sincerely wish that Allah gives him a good health in the years to come and gives him the strength to fight all evils and rascals that are surrounding him and trying to deflate him at the moment.

...“ছোট্ট বেলায় মেঘের সাথে খেলতে তুমি,
সবুজ বন কেন আজ মরুভূমি ?
হয়তোবা কেউ ডাকে তোমায় পিছন থেকে,
তোমার সব ব্যাথা মুছে দিতে!

সেতো কেঁদে যাবে বুকে নিয়ে শোক
তাই বলে অশ্রুসিক্ত কেন তোমার এ চোখ?
তোমার মনেতো এখনো দুখেরই গান,
তাইতো আমি গেয়ে যাই মেঘেরই গান।”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhaka in the 1950s and 1960s

In the mid 1950s, Dhaka, known as ‘Dacca’ at that time, was just a small provincial town with about 3,00,000 inhabitants. Dhanmondi at that time just started to grow; Maulvi Abdus Sobhan's family had some habitation in Sobhanbagh, Dhaka Stadium was being constructed to host cricket matches and New Market was starting to become a busy shopping area. Dhaka residents loved cinema since the time it was introduced. Baliadi Siddiki family owned Nishat Cinema Hall and held a mega event when the film ‘Aan’ by Mehboob Khan was released in 1952. Elephants were used by the hall owner to distribute leaflets and to spray colour water. There was another prominent hall named Britannia near Rex Restaurant at Gulistan but was closed down in the late 1950s. Gulistan Cinema Hall, city’s first modernity landmark, came up in 1952. Amber, started with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, was the first film the hall showed. Mukul which later became 'Azad 'used to show Bengali films from Kolkat

সুন্দর পশু-পাখি, সুন্দর গাছ আর সুন্দর সুন্দর জঙ্গল নিয়ে সুন্দরবন

...প্রাকৃতিক দুর্যোগের সময় এদেশের মানুষের পক্ষ হয়ে বর্ম হিসেবে দাড়িয়ে যাওয়া সুন্দরবনের সাথে বেশীর ভাগ মানুষের প্রথম পরিচয় হয় বাংলা ১ম পত্রের গদ্য বইয়ে অথবা বাংলা ২য় পত্রের রচনায়। সুন্দরবন - এর আক্ষরিক অর্থ 'সুন্দর জঙ্গল' অথবা 'সুন্দর বনভূমি' কিন্তু নামকরণ হয়েছিল 'সুন্দরী গাছ' থেকে যা এখানে প্রচুর পরিমানে জন্মে। তবে যেহেতু স্থানীয় আদিবাসীরা অনেক আগে থেকে বনটিকে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামে ডাকতো তাই হতে পারে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামটি কালের পরিক্রমায় ‘সুন্দরবন’ হয়ে গেছে। বঙ্গোপসাগরের কোল ঘেষে অবস্থিত এই বনের বাঘ ‘রয়েল বেঙ্গল টাইগার’ নামে পরিচিত যদিও সংখ্যায় এখন এ প্রাণী ক্রমনিম্নগামী। সুন্দরবন সমুদ্র উপকূলবর্তী এলাকায় অবস্থিত হবার কারনে এখানকার পানি নোনতা এবং এই লবণাক্ততার কারণে বাঘ অস্বস্তিকর অবস্থায় থাকে যা তাদের বেশ আগ্রাসী করে তোলে তাই  মাছ ও মধু সংগ্রহকারী মানুষদের উপর সুযোগ পেলে তারা ঝাপিয়ে পরে। ১৭৫৭ সালে পুরো বাংলার ইজারা নেয় বৃটিশ ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি যার মধ্যে সুন্দরবনও ছিল। এই বনের গুরুত্ব বুঝতে পেরে ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি একটা মানচিত্র তৈরি করে সেইসময়

Revolt at BDR Headquarters

Soldiers of the BDR Headquarters in Dhaka staged a revolt against their top officers including the DG. Rumors are all around. Some say, the DG is dead. Others include - soldiers want pay raise; they want full scale war against Indian BSF etc. But here is the rumor that beats all by a long margin - JMB naki actually BDR HQ attack korse. Next target High Court. Ora naki BDR DG ke convince korse to join them!