Skip to main content

8 March: My best-friend’s birthday

Nochiketa, the famous singer from Kolkata, had an impact on many of us during youth. It was 1993/94; we were growing up with much happenings in socio-political scenario; music of Nochiketa being one of the elements.

I attracted and distracted many during my youth; my attitude was unconventional, rude and uncouth. Many people found me out of the ordinary, many found me impolite & loutish. My best-friend was in the first group. We were high school mates; shared same interest in literature, sports and music. We however differed on wishing each others on occasions. Wishing on birthdays is not my type of thing so I never wishes my best-friend on his birthdays. But now, I do want to wish and greet him, but can’t; the distance between us is impossible to climb.

In 1993, my best friend gave me a surprise visit on my birthday; presented me a mixed audio cassette and books. I was touched as I did not expect it nor I will do anything similar. My attitude did not stop him from repeating the act till end of college years. On one of the cassettes he gave me; there was this song – Onirban by Nochiketa – tale of two college friends, one being successful in life, another not so much. My best-friend one day said in a philosophic tone “Wasim, tui bhuley jabi amader feley asha shomoy; tui ekdin amakey chinbi na.” I laughed and moved on. After college, I got into a private university despite being an awful student, mainly due to my affluent father; my best-friend decided to do honors from a local college. Days passed on, we moved on, I got new friends, so did my best-friend.

In was 2001; we met at a bus-stop; talked for half an hour, laughed over things and went in two directions – me Uttara, him Moghbazar. Lyrics of Onirban flashed back; I feared what future holds for us.

Life moved on with no regular contact with my best-friend. Then the day came. Morning hours, January 8, 2002. A common friend called and said, Wasim mon tah shokto kor; ekta kharap khobor achey. She paused for a moment and said “Anayet mara gesey aj bhor ey.” I did not know how to react to this. I took the day off from office, reached his home as early I could; only to see him dead in a coffin. My best-friend Anayet-ul Islam was dead.

Death and birth anniversaries does not excite me much. This one does. From that year on, 8 March and 8 January have a different meaning to me. I wonder how I could wish him. I wonder whether the song Onirban has its presence in upstairs or not. I wonder whether my best-friend found a deserving best-friend or not. I wonder whether he will recognize me when I go upstairs or not.

Dekhey jaa, jaa Onirban; ki shukhey roye-chey pran.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhaka in the 1950s and 1960s

In the mid 1950s, Dhaka, known as ‘Dacca’ at that time, was just a small provincial town with about 3,00,000 inhabitants. Dhanmondi at that time just started to grow; Maulvi Abdus Sobhan's family had some habitation in Sobhanbagh, Dhaka Stadium was being constructed to host cricket matches and New Market was starting to become a busy shopping area. Dhaka residents loved cinema since the time it was introduced. Baliadi Siddiki family owned Nishat Cinema Hall and held a mega event when the film ‘Aan’ by Mehboob Khan was released in 1952. Elephants were used by the hall owner to distribute leaflets and to spray colour water. There was another prominent hall named Britannia near Rex Restaurant at Gulistan but was closed down in the late 1950s. Gulistan Cinema Hall, city’s first modernity landmark, came up in 1952. Amber, started with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, was the first film the hall showed. Mukul which later became 'Azad 'used to show Bengali films from Kolkat

সুন্দর পশু-পাখি, সুন্দর গাছ আর সুন্দর সুন্দর জঙ্গল নিয়ে সুন্দরবন

...প্রাকৃতিক দুর্যোগের সময় এদেশের মানুষের পক্ষ হয়ে বর্ম হিসেবে দাড়িয়ে যাওয়া সুন্দরবনের সাথে বেশীর ভাগ মানুষের প্রথম পরিচয় হয় বাংলা ১ম পত্রের গদ্য বইয়ে অথবা বাংলা ২য় পত্রের রচনায়। সুন্দরবন - এর আক্ষরিক অর্থ 'সুন্দর জঙ্গল' অথবা 'সুন্দর বনভূমি' কিন্তু নামকরণ হয়েছিল 'সুন্দরী গাছ' থেকে যা এখানে প্রচুর পরিমানে জন্মে। তবে যেহেতু স্থানীয় আদিবাসীরা অনেক আগে থেকে বনটিকে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামে ডাকতো তাই হতে পারে ‘চন্দ্র-বান্ধে’ নামটি কালের পরিক্রমায় ‘সুন্দরবন’ হয়ে গেছে। বঙ্গোপসাগরের কোল ঘেষে অবস্থিত এই বনের বাঘ ‘রয়েল বেঙ্গল টাইগার’ নামে পরিচিত যদিও সংখ্যায় এখন এ প্রাণী ক্রমনিম্নগামী। সুন্দরবন সমুদ্র উপকূলবর্তী এলাকায় অবস্থিত হবার কারনে এখানকার পানি নোনতা এবং এই লবণাক্ততার কারণে বাঘ অস্বস্তিকর অবস্থায় থাকে যা তাদের বেশ আগ্রাসী করে তোলে তাই  মাছ ও মধু সংগ্রহকারী মানুষদের উপর সুযোগ পেলে তারা ঝাপিয়ে পরে। ১৭৫৭ সালে পুরো বাংলার ইজারা নেয় বৃটিশ ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি যার মধ্যে সুন্দরবনও ছিল। এই বনের গুরুত্ব বুঝতে পেরে ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানি একটা মানচিত্র তৈরি করে সেইসময়

Revolt at BDR Headquarters

Soldiers of the BDR Headquarters in Dhaka staged a revolt against their top officers including the DG. Rumors are all around. Some say, the DG is dead. Others include - soldiers want pay raise; they want full scale war against Indian BSF etc. But here is the rumor that beats all by a long margin - JMB naki actually BDR HQ attack korse. Next target High Court. Ora naki BDR DG ke convince korse to join them!